Thursday, 9 August 2012

Mouth Watering Banana Muffins

This is my favorite banana bread recipe. I have been using for years, my mother also uses it, and every banana muffin or loaf I have seems to pale in comparison. So when I attempted a conversion to gluten free dairy free I was nervous. I didn't want to give it up and settle for one of it's mediocre cousins. Hallelujah! It worked perfectly... The first time! I am very pleased with the results, Max was too!


This recipe can be baked in a loaf pan or in muffin tins. I like muffins because they seem to stretch a bit farther as well as the convenience of them. They really are a great grab and go snack. I also like to freeze them and take one out at a time, leaving it on the counter for about an hour to let it thaw.


Mouth Watering Banana Muffins

3-4 very ripe bananas (I pop mine into the freezer, then use them when I get enough. They will go black, but that's fine)
1/3 Cup melted coconut oil
3/4 Cup sugar
1 Egg, beaten
1 tsp Vanilla
1 tsp Baking Soda
pinch salt
1 1/2 Cups GF Flour mix (found in my chocolate chip cookie post Here)
1  tsp Xanthm Gum

Preheat oven to 325 F
With a fork, mash bananas in mixing bowl.
Add sugar and melted margarine and mix well. Add vanilla, egg, salt, and baking soda. mix well again.
Add flour mix and xanthm gum and stir just until combined.
Pour into greased loaf pan or paper lined muffin tin.
If making loaf, bake for approximately 1 hour, or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center.
If making muffins, bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center.

Cool for fifteen minutes in pan, remove and cool completely on wire rack. Store in airtight container for up to three days or freeze for up to one month.



My taste tester enjoyed a late night snack while taking up residence on the floor. His only sound while eating was: "mmmmmmmm."
Hope you enjoy them just as much!

3 comments:

  1. Oh yum! I am almost ready to try a recipe like this. I think I will just have to replace the sugar at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delish!! What is with this mysterious Xanthm Gum? I see it alot... dont know were to go get it... dont know what it does....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Xanthm gum is a plant derived substance that acts as a sort of glue. It is in a lot of prepared items like salad dressings, cakes, jelly beans. With the absence of gluten which normally acts as the binding agent, xanthm gum takes its place. Without it, the muffins would fall and crumble. Be careful though, if you use too much your food will have an undesirable gummy texture. The general rule is 1 tsp per cup of flour. You can buy xanthm gum at your health food store, bulk barn, and some larger grocery stores. Our zehrs carries it. It's a bit costly, but lasts a long time. You can also substitute guar gum in place of xanthm gum. Hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete