Thursday, 25 April 2013

Mmmm... Brownies.

 Not feeling overly energetic these days. Not feeling overly anything really; well besides swollen and
tired and in need of copious amounts of chocolate. With only eight weeks left until baby is due to arrive, I am particularly appreciative of a stolen moment or two alone to put my feet up and indulge in something wonderful.

I found myself in precisely this situation this evening yet had nothing suitable to please the pregnant appetite. Having recently restocked my pantry with baking supplies I thought to myself, "why not. I'll make a pan of brownies. They're quick and easy.  Ooh, maybe if I blog them I can say it was out of necessity instead of my own guilty pleasures."
Well then, task complete I suppose. Cross it off my to-do list. Oh the sacrifices I make. ;)

Brownies are actually one of the easiest conversions to GFCF I've dealt with. With very little flour in a lot of recipes it adapts well. Also a lot of recipes use oil or clarified butter.

These brownies use a slightly different method, heating the fat first. They were so rich with chocolate and wonderfully chewy. I'm a chewy brownie kinda gal. There are three types of brownies: fudgy, chewy, and cakey ( is that an actual word?) As I was saying, it's all bout the chew for me. Because of this I do not frost my brownies, it tends to take away in my opinion. Also it helps in the justification of eating five brownies in one sitting. (Whoops)


Anyway, in the spirit of no nonsense and getting to the point, the point being just give me some chocolate, on with the recipe. 

P.S
I do not make low fat low sugar brownies. I have already made them gluten and dairy free, they are delicious, but I think it would be cruel to the brownie to take more. If you want low fat, sugar free, gluten free, dairy free, eat some celery. This is a treat, and worth it. 

Chewy Brownies

5 TBSP coconut oil
5 TBSP ghee (clarified butter with proteins and sugars removed)
3/4 cup coco powder
1 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract 
2 eggs
1/2 cup gf flour blend (make your own blend, recipe found here)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp xanthm gum
1/3 cup dairy free chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325F. Heat oil and ghee in pot on stove until quite hot. Place coco, sugar, vanilla, salt, in mixing bowl. Add in fat and mix. 
Let sit for a few minutes to slightly cool. Then add eggs. Once eggs are mixed in, add flour and xanthm gum. Blend for a 1 minute on medium speed. Turn mixer off and fold in Choc chips. 

Grease either a square or small rectangular pan with additional ghee and press batter into pan and smooth out top. Batter will be quite thick and a touch sticky. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until top begins to turn light brown and edges are well set. 

Cool in pan for twenty minutes. Remove from pan and allow to cool completely before cutting. Store in an airtight container and keep at room temperature or freeze.

Tip: you can buy a brownie pan with a removable bottom for easy removal, or you can line bottom of pan with parchment paper that overhangs on two sides to use as handles to lift out. 

These were delicious. I ate more than I should have and only stopped because I was beginning to get a serious case of eaters remorse. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did. 


*****Update: I have recently made these in a mini muffin pan, well greased, and they came out great! The recipe fit perfectly into my pan which holds 18. They were perfect "two-bite brownies" for little hands. Just remember to adjust cooking time accordingly.*******


1 comment:

  1. YUM! Sounds delicious. You deserve hundreds of treats. Hope you savored every bite!

    ReplyDelete