Wednesday, 28 August 2013

Gluten Free Flour Blends

Photo Credit: http://flominowa.deviantart.com/

I have had great success with some recipes using my brown rice flour blend. Brown rice seems to be the most popular of bases for gf flour blends. It is inexpensive, mildly flavoured, and easy to find.

With other recipes however, I found that the rice flour didn't quite cut it. I attempted to make a shortbread using my handy dandy flour blend and ghee. The ghee was perfect for this recipe, buttery and rich. Though the texture of the cookie from the rice flour left much to be desired. It was very gritty. I had noticed a little bit of grit in other things but not enough that I thought it was a big deal. I had noticed the same grit in commercial products, more than homemade. This time though, I couldn't ignore the flaw and it sent me on a search for something new.

Don't get me wrong, I still use my rice flour blend for certain things. In fact I have tried my new flour blend in my very favourite cake recipe, and it took a wonderful recipe from amazing to meh. I will specify in my recipes which flour will work best in my opinion, but feel free to use them how you think they would suit your needs best.

I usually do these in large amounts and keep them in airtight labelled containers in my pantry so I don't have to fuss around too much when I feel like making something. I do them in one full cup per part. For example the 5 parts brown rice flour in the first blend, I do as 5 cups, and then 3 cups for the potato starch and 2 cups for the tapioca. Super easy to remember and makes a good amount.

***Update: I have recently added a paleo flour blend. This blend is grain free, and works quite well in a lot of recipes, however is not cup for cup. Increase liquids and eggs accordingly, or watch for future recipes using this great blend****

Brown rice flour blend (I will often refer to this as my cake flour)
5 parts white rice flour (super fine if you can get it)
2 parts brown rice flour (super fine if you can get it)
2 parts potato starch (not potato flour)
1 part tapioca starch (sometimes called flour)


This is a light and fluffy cake flour that yields beautiful results when used in batters which contain a lot of liquid and fluffiness is the desired result.


Sorghum flour blend (This has become my All Purpose Flour)
4 parts sorghum flour
4 parts potato starch
1 part buckwheat OR oat flour
1 part almond meal/flour (can substitute  with millet flour or more oat or buckwheat flour for nut allergy)


This blend is great for cookies, pie crusts, brownies, pancakes, etc. 


Teff flour blend (This is my Hearty Flour Blend)
2 parts sorghum flour
2 parts potato starch
1 part teff flour
1 part buckwheat OR oat flour
1 part almond flour/meal (can substitute  with millet flour or more oat or buckwheat flour for nut allergy)


This is a nutritious blend that tastes a lot like whole wheat flour and is great for muffins, quick breads and pizza crust.

***NEW PALEO FLOUR BLEND
2 parts coconut flour
2 parts almond flour
1 part tapioca starch



This blend is great for anyone on a grain free or paleo diet.

***For all blends, just measure into a large bowl or container that you can fit a whisk into, and whisk until blended. You will know when it is mixed because you won't see layers of slightly different colours anymore.

***I purchase all of my flours at the bulk food store (Bulk Barn here), but they are readily available at most health food stores as well.

***I do not add gums to my flour mixes, as I find that I like to add different amounts to different recipes to ensure that I do not use more than necessary as this can result in a slightly gummy texture.


Well, I think that's it. It may seem like a bit of work to get these mixed up, but honestly, do yourself a favour and do it in big batches as recommended and you'll see how simple it can be. Five minutes worth of measuring and then you have exactly what you need for many recipes to follow. Happy Baking!

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome, thanks for sharing your recipes. I need to mix up a batch or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Jan! My baking improved by a miles once I had a variety of flours to choose from.

      Delete
  2. Jenna, John eats alot of white bread,(yeah, I know). I have a bread machine. Do you have a good GFCF bread recipe? I bought a loaf of teff bread at the bakery and really liked it but the cost was insane. They also had a chickpea bread but again the cost was ridiculous and when I tried a recipe I found on line, it was quick bread style, I threw half of it out - it was pretty horrible. After trying your brownies, and serving them to friends and family who all loved them, I trust your pallet. Have you got anything for me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andrea, yes I agree the cost of gf bread is outrageous!! I'm very pleased that you liked the brownie recipe. I have been working on a good gf bread for a year and a half and am getting closer, but I am not quite satisfied yet. I don't want to just throw one up and call it a day, when I do give out a recipe for bread, it will be because it's great bread. I am very sorry and wish I could give you one immediately, but I wouldn't want you to be disappointed, as I have been with every other gf bread recipe I've tried from others. My recipe now, is at the point where it tastes great, has wonderful texture, but is lost after the first twelve hours or so. It begins to crumble the second day, and that just frustrates me to no end. Keep an eye out though, I have a feeling we're almost there. xo

    ReplyDelete