Sunday, 1 September 2013

Funfetti Chocolate Chip Cookies

Remember To Have Fun!!!
This is something that I feel the constant need to remind myself of. With all of the chaos around here, and dh getting a new job that keeps him away for long hours, I often feel like I'm just getting through the day. No matter how much I clean, seems like there's always a mess; My to do list is a mile long and growing by the day, and someone is always hungry, or hurt, or needs a new diaper. 
These are my reasons for feeling overloaded, but it seems like everyone has their own now a days. Jobs, kids, family, friends, extracurriculars, second jobs, housework, and on and on. Sometimes we are so focused on getting these things taken care of, we forget about the truly important things, like having fun. 

When the children are being extra defiant (and yes I say extra, because no one like me would have obedient children) or are cranky, I think to myself, when is the last time the had any fun? Not just the normal fun, same old toys, same movies, same surroundings, but new, out of the routine fun. Usually when I ask myself that the answer is not recently enough. No wonder they're cranky, me too for that matter. Now I have not yet mastered venturing into the outside world with my socially frightened little man, my take off running little girl, and my 100% dependant 3 month old. 
This means finding something fun to do at home. Well, cookies are actually pretty fun, especially when you get three little rug rats helping you and add a bunch of coloured sprinkles (their idea, not mine). Don't stress about the mess the kids make helping out, don't stress if the recipe isn't followed to a T. Just relax, let them be kids. 
My beautiful step daughter was here that day, which really helped little man to want to participate. She is probably the one person that can get him to venture out of his comfort zone just by doing things in front of him. I didn't pressure him, and he actually participated! This was a great experience for little man in a lot of ways. He needed to take turns, follow directions, share the experience with other people, and wait for the final product, teaching him that effort and patience will pay off. 
All in all, it was a fun day, and at the end of it we cuddled up on the floor and watched a movie before bed with a plate of cookies. They were great, but I think the kids enjoyed them more because they were a part of the whole thing.




Funfetti Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yield 24 cookies

2/3 cup ghee
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 Large Egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 Scant Cups All purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp xanthm gum
3/4 tsp sea salt
2/3 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup coloured sprinkles
  • Cream sugars and ghee in stand mixer with paddle attachment, or by hand until pale
  • Add in egg and vanilla, mix
  • Whisk dry ingredients (minus the choc chips and sprinkles) in a separate bowl and then add to ghee mixture. mix until well Incorporated
  • Add in sprinkles and choc chips, mix by hand.
  • Pop in fridge and chill for 2 hours minimum.

  • Once dough is well chilled, preheat oven to 325° F
  • Line a baking sheet with parchment or silmat. 
  • Roll about 2 TBSP dough into balls and place on sheet about 1.5" apart. 
  • Bake for about 12 minutes or until slightly browned around edges and small cracks appear on top. 
  • Remove from oven and let cool ten minutes on the pan before transferring to a wire cooling rack.

These cookies are wonderful, they're chewy and buttery. Yum!
Feel free to leave comments letting me know how you enjoyed them.


1 comment:

  1. Oh they look so pretty. Glad you guys had some much needed fun!

    ReplyDelete