Friday, 20 September 2013

Gloriously Green - Creamy Broccoli Soup Recipe


Well, tomorrow is the first official day of fall. Seems like I was still waiting for summer to begin when it was suddenly over. We did miss out on a lot of the fun summertime activities this year, what with the new baby (which puts mama into hibernation mode) and little man's cast being on for 2 months. Poor thing didn't even get to the lake once this year.

As sad as I am to see summer disappearing however, I am equally pleased to welcome fall. I love the fall. Beautiful colours, warm days and cool nights, pumpkin picking and family dinners. Fall has always felt somewhat romantic to me. That is right up until I had four little germ factories coughing directly in my mouth the second the temperature dips. Kinda brings all those romantic illusions crashing down.

This last week, right on schedule, we all spent the days sick with a nasty cold. So what that means for mama is three sick kids (babe didn't get sick, thankfully) a sick husband and a pile of work to do. All the while I feel like death myself, have what I will swear is the whiniest bunch of munchkins on earth and cold and flu season hasn't even officially started yet.

This year, I'm determined to kick cold season's butt. The kids are now taking vit C, Zinc, and echinacea. I am also Determined to sneak as many vitamins and nutrients into their food as possible. This soup looks like broccoli soup and tastes like broccoli soup but is so much more than that.

My little unsuspecting babies gobbled this up never knowing that it was crammed with extra green goodness. It was tasty, warm and comforting. Do yourself a favour, make a double batch of this at once (only takes about half an hour) and freeze half for an on hand vitamin boost later!

Creamy Broccoli Soup


  • 1 medium yellow or white onion, diced
  • 1/2 leek, chopped
  • 3 cups broccoli florets 
  • 1/2 bunch kale (just the leaves)
  • 2 cups baby spinach
  • 2 garlic cloves (smashed)
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 1 TBSP Ghee
  • Salt and pepper
  • pinch of cumin
  • 1 Litre of chicken stock (can use other stock if preferred, but I like chicken)
  • 1 Can full fat coconut milk
  • 2 TBSP Nutritional Yeast (Don't worry, this yeast is not like brewer's yeast, won't contribute to candida issues) 


  1. First sweat the onion and leek and garlic for five minutes or so in the ghee. 
  2. Once they turn translucent, add in cumin and cook until very fragrant. 
  3. Then add kale,  broccoli, coconut milk, and chicken stock. bring up to a gentle boil on med-high, then reduce heat and simmer until veggies are tender.
  4. Remove from heat and blend until very smooth in a blender. (Or whatever you prefer to blend with) You will probably have to do this in batches.
  5. In the last batch, add in avocado, nutritional yeast, and spinach. 
  6. Mix all the blended soup together and season to taste.


This soup reheats and freezes quite well. The nutritional yeast gives it just enough of a cheesy flavour, and the avocado makes it silky and creamy. Enjoy!





1 comment:

  1. Oh I can't wait to try this one! I love fall and I love soup :)

    ReplyDelete