Thursday, 12 September 2013

How to make Coconut Butter

I LOVE this coconut butter! Seriously, I love it. I have no idea why it isn't main stream. It is nutritious, delicious, and a nut free alternative. It is chockablock full of MCT (medium chain triglycerides) and thyroid boosting goodness. It is also directly converted to energy, making it easier to burn, and is great for heart health, despite the bad rep that saturated fats have gotten over the last few decades. Did I mention that I love it?

Coconut Butter

1.5 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup coconut oil (maybe more)
1 TBSP raw honey

In a powerful blender or food processor, that is completely dry, process coconut for about 8 minutes or so. You will need to either tamp it down or scrape the sides fairly frequently. When the oils start to release from the coconut, add in the coconut oil. I like to do this because coconut oil is very healthy for you, and it helps to give a nicer texture at the end. It also makes processing the coconut easier.

In my food processor, the coconut butter stays pretty light, however when I use appliances with more power, the mixture heats up a lot, so be careful, but it also gives it a toasted colour and flavour. If you want this but are using an appliance that will not achieve it, toast the coconut (dry) on a baking sheet just until it browns lightly before you begin.

Once the mixture is the texture you prefer, i like mine almost completely smooth with just a bit of texture left, add in honey. The honey is optional, but I like it a touch sweet, and honey is healthy and a great unrefined sweetener. This may cause the coconut to seize up a bit. keep processing, again scraping sides as needed, and add a bit more oil if necessary.

Pour into the container you are going to store it in, I use an old peanut butter jar. Allow to come to room temperature. If it is cold where you are, it may become quite solid at room temp, but just place closed container in a warm water bath for a minute or two and it should come back.

This will separate, but just give it a stir before you use it, just like natural nut butters.

Coconut butter is a healthy, delicious, brain boosting, metabolism boosting treat. I eat most of mine right off a spoon when my sweet tooth kicks in. You can also use it in place of nut butters though. It is great on toast, paired with jam or bananas. I have also made chocolate coconut butter cups, watch out for that recipe in the future. Yum.

You can also buy coconut butter, but it runs for about $9-$15 per jar at my health food store. This cost me less than $3 to make. I was sceptical the first time I tried it, but trust me, you will be pleasantly surprised and love it!

Oh, one more thing, STOP BEING AFRAID OF FAT!!!! I have talked about this before, but it is so embedded into our brains that fat is bad, I need to constantly remind you. Some fat is great for you... like coconut for instance.



2 comments:

  1. Yay! I've been waiting so long for you to post this !! I can't wait to start making my own! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynsey! I hope you like it. I made a jar two days ago and I've already polished off 1/3. (whoops)

      Delete