Friday, 6 September 2013

Sunday Morning Pancakes


You would think that pancakes would be one of the easier foods to convert to GFCF, but you would be surprised. I have tried recipe after recipe and have been disappointed every time. Finally I had the breakthrough I had been waiting for... my new all purpose flour mix. I have made rice flour pancakes by the hundreds, with results that were often not even edible, I have tried oat flour, which I love, but is far too heavy for pancakes to be the main flour. I see thousands of rice flour based pancake recipes on Pinterest and Google, and wonder if I have higher standards or if these people just don't remember what a real pancake tastes like.

When I began learning to cook GFCF, I had to start from scratch. I am a trained professional cook, and have no need to doubt my ability to make something as simple as a pancake, unless you take away all of the familiar ingredients, add in new ones, and leave me with no one I personally know with hands on experience to offer guidance. There was really nothing for me to do except start from the beginning. I researched what everyone else gluten free was doing and tried to do what they did. You figure something out pretty quick though, people have a different expectation for gluten free items. I don't want to make things that are "good for gluten free" I just want to make things that are good, period.

This recipe doesn't have pumpkin or banana or chocolate chips. It doesn't need them. Not that I have anything against these things in a pancake, but when you are using them as a camouflage for an inferior product, well then... Get the basics right first, then add in whatever you want. You need a solid foundation to take off from. I added a fruit component as my condiment, mango honey puree, but the kids just ate theirs with maple syrup, and they were delicious. 

I called these Sunday Morning Pancakes because that's usually the day that people are looking for a nice warm, comforting breakfast to have together as a family. For us, that day is not Sunday (the joys of having two shift working parents) but you get the point.

The best part of these pancakes though, I would have to say is their longevity. Yep. They last! Have you ever had those nasty frozen pancakes from the freezer isle, right beside the Eggos? They are full of chemicals, refined sugar, and don't even taste good. With these though, I just make a double batch, let the leftovers cool on a wire rack (single layer) while we eat, and when I'm cleaning up I just stack them, put them in a freezer bag and put them in the freezer. When the time comes, I gently separate a couple (they come apart pretty easily) put them on a plate, cover them with a paper towel and microwave them for a minute or so. They are just as good as when they were made!!! Kinda turns "Sunday Morning Pancakes" into "OMG We're running late and the kids haven't eaten what am I going to feed them in 2 minutes pancakes" doesn't it? 

Sunday Morning Pancakes

2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp xanthm gum
2 cups almond milk (or other non dairy milk)
1.5 TBSP apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1/4 cup honey
2 large room temp eggs

  • Preheat Griddle to around 375° F or a non stick frying pan on med-high
  • In a large bowl, whisk all dry ingredients
  • Gently warm almond milk and mix with other wet ingredients
  • Pour wet into dry and mix (Do not over beat, but don't leave any lumps behind)
  • Let sit about 5 minutes (to thicken slightly)
  • Pour 1/3 cup of batter onto un-greased griddle
  • Leave until bubbles appear on the entire surface of the pancake
  • Flip over and continue cooking for 2 mins or so. Pancake should puff slightly when cooked
  • serve immediately or cool on rack and freeze

Mango Honey Puree 

1 large ripe mango, peeled and roughly diced
2 TBSP raw honey
2 TBSP melted ghee

  • warm mango and ghee slightly
  • blend all ingredients to desired consistency 
  • Pour over pancakes
I did this sauce in my smoothie maker, but you can use a blender, immersion blender, food processor, or mash with a fork. I like mine a little chunky, but you can let it blend a bit longer to make it smooth if you like. This would also work with berries, plums, peaches, etc.







I hope you enjoy these gluten free, dairy free, soy free, refined sugar free pancakes! They were very good. Period.





1 comment: