Wednesday, 4 September 2013

Chocolate Cupcakes That Put All Other Cupcakes to Shame

My beautiful baby girl just turned two. She is a textbook terrible two's kid, with an attitude as big as a house and a defiant streak that would make me proud if I didn't have to deal with it. She is also a chocoholic, just like her mama. You could hand this kid chocolate covered tree bark and she'd eat it with a smile on her face.

We had a pretty low key birthday. We have learnt over time that it's just not worth it to invite everyone. As much as there's people you wanted to come and were missed, it is so hard on little man to have that many people here. Home is like his safe haven and a massive disruption like that takes him a very long time to recover from.

He has come a long way with a small get together of his closest people, (we usually split the close people up between two or three visits to keep it small) to the point where he stays in the room, talks to people and truly has a good time. After all, what is the point of having a party if no one's having fun?

There was a time (not so very long ago) that I believed we would never be able to say that little man had fun at a social gathering. I'm glad I was wrong. My little miss had a blast as well, but that's no surprise with her. They are polar opposites. The extrovert and the introvert, the social butterfly and the wallflower. She overwhelms him sometimes, but she really is good at bringing him out of his shell. She doesn't get offended when he doesn't respond to her, and just waits a bit and engages him again.

Her spirit and determination is bash my forehead off the wall frustrating sometimes, but when I look at the way they love each other, I am thankful for it. She makes him feel like it's OK to be fervent, impassioned, fun. I also have no doubt that she will stand up for him should the need arise (not that he'd appreciate that I'm sure).

So to commemorate the anniversary of the day that my little firecracker came in to our lives, I have made her my "could fool anyone chocolate cupcakes". Don't forget the pretty pink icing, because she likes to ninja you with her attitude, hiding it behind a sweet pink clad exterior before she strikes.





My husband said with a mouthful of his third cupcake "you could make a million dollars off of this and not even tell anyone they were gluten free"


My picky mother (love you) told me this is the best cake she has ever had, gluten free or not.

And my kids beg me for seconds every time I make it.

I usually try to be humble about the recipes I post, but honestly, I've just heard too many raves about this recipe to sell it short.


Chocolate Cake
yield: 18 cupcakes OR 2 small round cakes OR 9x13 sheet cake

2 cups cake flour
1 tsp xanthm gum
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 cups organic cane sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup coconut milk + 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup melted ghee or coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup boiling water


  • Preheat oven to 325° F 
  • Line cupcake pan with papers.
  • In bowl of mixer, or other large bowl, mix dry ingredients.
  • In a separate bowl, mix remaining ingredients minus the water
  • Add the wet to the dry and mix just until incorporated
  • lastly add in boiling water, mix until incorporated. 
  • Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and pop pan in to preheated oven
  • Bake for about 15-20 mins or until cake springs back when gently touched in the centre
  • Remove from oven and let cool for 10 mins or so in own, and then remove and finish cooling on wire rack.

Make sure you cool these COMPLETELY before frosting them, other wise your frosting will melt and slide right off. I make my own sometimes, but when pressed for time I purchase a frosting. This one is Wilton brand White Frosting from Michaels, thinned out a tad with coconut milk, whipped up and coloured.



These were amazing. I make this recipe every time we have a birthday. I always offer another cake, but am firmly told to make the chocolate one. Here is a picture taken at my brother's birthday last year with the same recipe. There were about 25 people here and no one knew the cake was gluten free.





I feel like I'm sharing something very dear to me by posting this recipe, so I would be very interested in feedback. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Don't forget to follow me on twitter so you don't miss anything new, and while you're at it, hop on over to the new facebook page and give us a "Like"

9 comments:

  1. This is the greatest cake ever baked. I would do terrible things to good people for the crumbs off the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly the best cake ever!! And I've eaten a few in my time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the "Mario" cake, and it was absolutely fantastic! I concur - definitely the best cake ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry - having a hard time commenting (?!) but what I THOUGHT I wrote was: Okay, this sounds absolutely delicious in every way and I want some right now, BUT we have had to go the no sugar route too!!! Ugh!!! Do you ever try for gf cf refined sugar-free goodies? thanks! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I have recently begun trying to replace the white sugar with unrefined sugars in my recipes. It is going to take me a bit of time, but I am determined. For this recipe you could try substituting palm sugar in place of the white sugar.
      Hope that helps, let me know if you give it a try, I'd be very interested to hear how it works out.

      Delete
  5. I was wondering about the sugar as well. Do you think Xylitol would work? I don't seem to have a reaction using it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, xylitol can generally be substituted 1:1,however I have not tried it in this recipe. Be aware though, that xylitol can have a laxative effect if you consume too much. It is also VERY toxic to dogs, so be careful if you have puppies because even a little bit is deadly for them. That being said though, xylitol is great for inner ear infection prevention, dental health, diabetics and doesn't feed yeast, which I know you have issue with, give it a try. I'd be very interested in the results.

      Delete