I like my coffee with cream and sugar, always have. It's so yummy, even though I know I shouldn't be spooning sugar into the first thing I put into my body in the morning. Also with our home being dairy free, I should cut out the cream too, but honestly I think almond milk, coconut milk, rice milk, etc. are great in a lot of applications, but I tend to get a bit murdery when they find their way into my coffee.
So how did I give up cream and sugar? I finally figured out what I love about them and then was able to create an amazing alternative. The reason I like cream and not milk is the fat... yummy, healthy, flavourful fat. Sugar is easy enough: I have a sweet tooth, which has been made abundantly clear by now ;)
If you like decadent flavoured coffee, or sweet, creamy coffee, this will make your day, again and again. I would feel quite pleased about putting this out with after dinner coffee for guests, or you could always just hoard it in the back of the fridge all for yourself (not that I do that). Trust me... YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS!
VANILLA COFFEE CREAMER
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch sea salt
- Blender (does not need to be fancy or high powered, any blender will do.)
- Nut Milk Bag (not an absolute necessity, but it does make a difference with mouth feel) Like this one
- Mason Jar (or other storage container)
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil for 1 minute and then let cool till warm. This will help to ensure the longest shelf life of the finished product as well as provide the heat needed to melt the oil
- Measure the cashews and 1 cup of the water into the blender.
- Blend on high for about 1 minute or until smooth.***
- suspend milk bag in measuring cup or other bowl, and pour milk into it.
- Add remaining water to blender and blend for 10 seconds or so (this is just to ensure you don't waste any that may be coating the walls of your blender.
- Add coconut oil, vanilla, salt, and maple syrup. Blend for 30 seconds
- pour into milk bag
- there will not be much left in the milk bag after you raise it out of the liquid, gently squeeze anything left. Discard solids in milk bag.
- Pour creamer into mason jar and allow to cool in the fridge uncovered. Once cooled, lid it and store for up to 10 days in the fridge.
- Shake jar before each use.
As usual, I like to give alternatives and variations, because everyone's tastes are different. If you prefer, you can use macadamia nuts in place of cashews, but beware, they are pricey.
You can also omit the vanilla extract or replace it with another of your liking, but I would start off with half the amount and then adjust to taste as a lot of other extracts are stronger in flavour than vanilla.
You can also use ghee in place of the coconut oil, however coconut oil does offer a plethora of health benefits that ghee does not (unless using grass fed ghee) but the flavour is a little more traditional.
And of course you can use Local honey in place of the maple syrup, or any other sweetener of your choice. Honey has the added benefit of helping with seasonal allergies if you buy local, unpasteurised.
What are you waiting for? Go, go! Enjoy! Guilt free, deliciously sweet, creamy coffee. Almost makes you a morning person... almost.